The first (central) portion of the building was financed jointly by the Alumni Centennial Fund and the Andrew Carnegie Foundation, each of which contributed half of the approximately $80,000 total cost. The library opened in April 1910 and featured, in addition to stacks and reading rooms, a 70-foot-high rotunda. Its initial collection of 28,000 volumes were moved from old Harrison Hall to their new location during the summer and fall of that year. In 1924 an east wing was added to the Library with funds provided partly by a University fundraising campaign and partly by the Carnegie Corporation. The new wing contained a main reference and reading room, and a reserve book room. Additional stacks were added in 1930, 1949, and 1958, and a west wing was built with state funds in 1952. Alumni remained the main library until the completion of King Library in 1972. It was extensively rennovated in the early 1990's and the old glass-floored stack areas removed. Alumni now houses the Architecture Department and Art-Architecture Library.
Flinterman, Miami Buildings, Past and Present , 1966, LD3241.M534 F54x
Glos, Biographies of the Men and Women For Whom Miami Buildings are Named, 1983, LD3241.M534 G56 1983x
McClure, Frances "Miami University's Alumni Library." [typescript]