Anderson Hall was built in 1919 and, because it was intended to be temporary, its construction quality was not comparable to that of other campus buildings. It was scheduled for demolition in 1939, but enrollment pressure delayed razing until 1961, when it was torn down to make room for Warfield Hall. Along with Stanton Hall, it served as quarters for the WAVE unit of the U.S. Naval Radio Training School between 1943-45. Originally known as East Hall, then West Hall, this women's residence hall was renamed Anderson Hall in 1948. It was named for William C. Anderson, fourth President of Miami, who served from 1849-54. The Anderson name was subsequently used for another residence hall.

Sources:
Flinterman, Miami Buildings, Past and Present , 1966, LD3241.M534 F54x

Glos, Biographies of the Men and Women For Whom Miami Buildings are Named, 1983, LD3241.M534 G56 1983x


William C. Anderson was Miami's fourth president, serving from 1849 to 1854. He was born in Washington, County, Pennsylvania on August 14, 1804. After receiving his Bachelor's Degree from Washington College in 1824, Anderson became a Presbyterian Minister and held pastorates in North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Dayton Ohio before coming to Miami. Anderson's Presidency was marked by his warm friendliness and understanding of students, and by responsible management of the University's meager finances. Anderson also introduced cricket, fencing, boxing, and wrestling to the Campus, and his administration marked the high point of Old Miami. When he came to Miami, the institution had an all-time low 66 students; before his departure, the number of students had grown to over 250. Much of Anderson's success was due to a combination of great personal charm, tact, and an ability to handle the students, qualities lacking in his two predecessors George Junkin and Erasmus MacMaster. Although Anderson was an able and successful President, he never again held a high college post after leaving Miami in 1854. Instead, he returned to ministerial work and held pastorates in Chillicothe, California, and Kansas. He died in Junction City, Kansas, on August 28, 1870

Glos, Biographies of the Men and Women For Whom Miami Buildings are Named, 1983, LD3241.M534 G56 1983x

Helm, Henry Thomas, "The Administration of Rev. William Anderson, D.D.," in The Diamond Anniversary Volume


April 1998