The building now known as Hall Auditorium was completed in 1908 and for eighteen years was called either the Administration Building or the Auditorium. In September 1926 it was named Benton Hall, after our twelfth president, and it was so designated until 1969 when it was renamed after Miami's fifth president, John W. Hall. In 1956, the building became headquarters of the Music Department. Prior to that, it served as offices for the President, Provost, etc. The building was extensively renovated in the early 1990's and the auditorium's capacity reduced from 1,200 to 766. It currently houses the Performing Arts Series Off~ce and the Philosophy Department.
Flinterman, Miami Buildings, Past and Present , 1966, LD3241.M534 F54x
of the Men and Women For Whom Miami Buildings are Named, 1983,
LD3241.M534 G56 1983x
Hamilton Journal, 14 April 1993
John W, Hall was born in Orange County, North Carolina on January 19, 1802. He studied theology and was licensed to preach by the Presbytery of West Tennessee in October 1924. Between 1824, Hall was both an evangelist and Pastor in Tennessee and, in 1837, he organized and became President of a Female Seminary in Gallatin. He subsequently served as a pastor in both Dayton, Ohio, and Huntsville, Alabama, before coming to Miami as president in 1854. President Hall served during the years of the Civil War and , as a southerner, was unjustly accused on more than one occasion of disloyalty to the Union. Although Miami generally prospered during the first portion of Hall's presidency, the outbreak of War led to a drop in enrollment with resulting financial difficulties. In October 1865 the Board of Trustees declared all faculty chairs reelection to the presidency.
After leaving Miami, Hall went to Covington, Kentucky, where he served as Superintendent of Public Schools from 1866-76. He died in Covington on January 6, 1886.
Glos, Biographies of the Men and Women For Whom Miami Buildings are Named, 1983, LD3241.M534 G56 1983x
Miami Years, 1984, LD3241.M52 H3 1984