The 1904 commencement activities of Western College included the dedication of "New Hall" which had been built during the administration of President Leila S. McKee. In 1917 this dormitory was named McKee Hall in honor of an alumna, president, president emeritus, and trustee of Western College.

Sources:
Glos, Biographies of the Men and Women For Whom Miami Buildings are Named, 1983, LD3241.M534 G56 1983x








Leila S. McKee was born in Columbia, Kentucky, on October 8, 1858. She attended Western Female Seminary and then received A.B. degrees from Centre College in 1885 and Wellesley in 1886. Subsequently she received an honorary M.A. degree from Centre College and a Ph.D. in 1892. In 1888 she became the second Principal of the Western Female Seminary, succeeding Miss Helen Peabody who had retired. She held this position until 1894 when the name of the institution was changed to the Western College and Seminary for Women. At that time she became the first President of the College, a position she held until 1904 when she was granted the title of President Emeritus. In June 1904 McKee left her position to marry Mr. James B. Welsh of Kansas City. In 1909 she was appointed to the Western College Board of Trustees and served until 1933. She died in Kansas City on January 5, 1938.

Source:
Glos, Biographies of the Men and Women For Whom Miami Buildings are Named, 1983, LD3241.M534 G56 1983x


April 1998